The History of Oaklands
The Imlay brothers first settled the Oaklands farm, originally called ‘Pambula Station’, in 1833. The three brothers saw the potential in the rich, alluvial river flats and the proximity to the coast for their pastoral and agricultural activities. The Imlay Brothers were the pioneers of the first permanent European settlement in the southern-most part of colonial New South Wales.
The grand Oaklands Homestead, which was completed in 1847, was constructed by builder Charles Robertson, under the direction of the Walker family who were the owners at the time. It is one of the earliest surviving colonial properties on the Far South Coast. The Oaklands Homestead is listed on the State Heritage List as a place of state significance and also the National Trust of Australia Register.
Over the years, the Oaklands farm has been used to farm cattle for beef production, a dairy herd for milk, cheese and butter production, sheep for wool and fat lambs and pigs for pork production and curing bacon. The farm has also been used to grow wheat, maize, sweet corn, potatoes, pumpkins, turnips and a vast fruit orchard.
Apart from being home to the busy Oaklands complex since 2008, the 250 acre Oaklands farm is used by the current owners to rear dairy heifers and grow supplement crops for their dairy farm at nearby Kameruka.